A camshaft is a part of the combustion engine that’s made of metal. Its primary job is to convert rotational energy to reciprocal energy using the pointed cams. Choosing the best cam for stock 454 might become frustrating as you’ve to take into account various aspects.
I have reviewed 454 camshaft selection based on rpm range (where the engine performs best and matches the other components of your vehicle)
The 4 Best Cam for Stock 454: to increase performance
- COMP Cams CL11-600-4 Thumpr 279TH7 Cam
- Edelbrock 7162 Performer Cam
- COMP Cams K11-242-3 Camshaft Kit
- Lunati Voodoo Cam Lifter Kit
The Benefits of Using Cam
Enhanced performance: The camshaft is essential in improving the performance of the engine. It operates the intake and exhaust valve and increases horsepower.
High-speed: It increases the operating range of high-speed engines.
Powers Engine: The camshaft lifts the intake valve and exhaust valve to combust air/fuel mixture that powers the engine with ease and efficiency.
Accelerating air/fuel mixture: While rotating, it lets the pistons carry air/fuel intake strokes as the valve lifts. This lift allows the cylinder to combust the mixture and start up the engine.
Opening valves: The overhead camshafts keep the valves lifted for a certain amount of time. The intake and exhaust process is carried out at the exact time without overheating the engine.
The 454 EFI version was rated from 230 hp (172 kW) to 255 hp (190 kW) and from 385 lb⋅ft (522 N⋅m) to 405 lb⋅ft (549 N⋅m) of torque.
The 4 Best Cam For Stock 454 in 2021
|IMAGE||NAME & Details||DETAILS|
|COMP Cams CL11-600-4 Thumpr 279TH7 Cam||Check Price|
|Edelbrock 7162 Performer Cam||Check Price|
|COMP Cams K11-242-3 Camshaft Kit||Check Price|
|Lunati Voodoo Cam and Lifter Kit||Check Price|
4 Best Cam for Stock 454 Review: Our Top Picks
1. COMP Cams CL11-600-4 Thumpr 279TH7 Cam
The COMP is one of the best 454 cams that ensure high performance with its three unique designs for different applications. The quick intake of the valve springs opening along with the long exhaust duration provides hardcore and powerful exhaust results. It works great with rear gear and aftermarket converters.
Reasons to buy:
- The operating RPM range marks at 1800-5600.
- Heavy exhaust note due to the unique and performance-oriented design makes it an excellent 454 thumpr cam.
- Phenomenal horsepower with higher torque for muscle cars.
- Optimized valve springs lift for accurate performance.
- Camshaft Type: This model is a Hydraulic Flat Tappet type camshaft that provides excellent performance.
- Intake Duration: The intake duration goes up to 279.
- Exhaust Duration: Advertised duration of this camshaft is at 297.
- Lobe Separation: Lobe separation angle for this model is at 107°.
- Intake Duration (.050″ Lift): The Intake duration is 227 at 0.50 inch Lift.
- Exhaust Duration (.050″ Lift): COMP CL11-600-4 exhaust duration touches 241 mark.
- RPM Range: It has an ideal operating RPM Range that is from 1800 to 5600.
- Unique three designs ensure higher performance.
- More torque and horsepower for your engine.
- Longer exhaust duration.
- 1800-5600 RPM range.
- Cast iron made body.
- It may take upto 10 business days to have the delivery from the manufacturer.
2. Edelbrock 7162 Performer Cam and Lift Kit.
Edelbrock 7162 performer 454 cam kit can produce 540 horsepower and 530 ft-lbs torque power on a 454 engine. It’s a nice cam for a 454 chevy engine that runs with 1500-6500 RPM Range. This camshaft provides more lift and longer duration using the 10″-12″ Manifold vacuum.
Reasons to buy:
- Edelbrock 7162 camshaft supports perfectly with street runs.
- Higher torque and horsepower make it a powerful chevy 454 cam.
- 1500-6500 operating RPM Range is excellent.
- The 10″ to 12″ manifold vacuum ensures longer duration and more lift.
- Camshaft Type: Hydraulic Flat Tappet is the best cam for stock 454.
- Intake Duration: The intake duration marks at 300.
- Exhaust Duration: The advertised duration marks at 306.
- Lobe Separation: Lobe separation angle is set at 112° for this cam.
- Intake Duration (.050″ Lift): Intake duration marks at 256.
- Exhaust Duration (.050″ Lift): Exhaust Duration touches at 250.
- RPM Range: 1500-6500 operating RPM ensures high & consistent performance.
- 1500-6500 RPM range.
- Maximum power with High-RPM
- Extra lift and longer exhaust duration with manifold vacuum.
- It contains hydraulic lifters and Assembly Lube.
- Exhaust duration at .50″ Lift could be improved
3. COMP Cams K11-242-3 Camshaft Kit
COMP Cams K11-242-3 is a phenomenal 454 camshaft that provides maximum performance by taking advantage of the exclusive cam technology. It’s excellent for towing, street performance, or off-roading. The lobe profile offers a better throttle response along with extra horsepower.
Reasons To Buy 242 3 xtreme energy:
- Extra vacuum offers high performance and assists power brakes.
- It has an incredible operating RPM range of 1600-5800.
- The kit comes with all the necessary accessories.
- Higher responsiveness comes from faster lobe profile opening.
- Camshaft Type: The cam style is Hydraulic Flat Tappet.
- Intake Duration: This model marks at 268 for intake duration.
- Exhaust Duration: The exhaust duration is checked at 280.
- Lobe Separation: The lobe separation angle is 110° for this cam.
- Intake Duration (.050″ Lift): Intake duration for .5 inch lift is 224.
- Exhaust Duration (.050″ Lift): Exhaust duration for .5″ marks at 230.
- RPM Range: It has 1600-5800 RPM Range.
- Powerful performance from the vacuum.
- Perfect for street or off-road performance.
- Added responsiveness from the lobe.
- 1600-5800 Operating RPM Range.
- Intake and exhaust duration could be better.
4. Lunati Voodoo Cam Lifter Kit
Lunati cam kit 10110703LK comes with an asymmetrical lobe design with slower closing sides that reduce the noise and increase the longevity of the valvetrain. This model is combined with higher horsepower and torque that ensure more throttle response, faster acceleration, and efficiency. A matching lifter comes with the kit.
Reasons To Buy:
- The Lunati 10110703lk voodoo cam kit has higher RPM Range of 1800-6200
- Increased horsepower and torque ensure higher responsiveness and efficiency.
- Asymmetrical designed lobe produces lower noise.
- The valvetrain lasts longer, matching lifter is included.
- Camshaft Type: lunati 10110703lk voodoo is a Hydraulic Flat Tappet cam.
- Intake Duration: 268 Intake Duration is high in comparison with other camshafts.
- Exhaust Duration: Exhaust Duration checks at 276.
- Lobe Separation: 110° lobe separation is ideal for 454 camshafts.
- Intake Duration (.050″ Lift): It marks at 227 for Intake Duration at 0.50-inch Lift.
- Exhaust Duration (.050″ Lift): Exhaust Duration at 0.50-inch Lift 233.
- RPM Range: The operating RPM Range of this model is from 1800 to 6200.
- Powerful performance from the vacuum.
- Perfect for street or off-road performance.
- Added responsiveness from the lobe.
- 1600-5800 Operating RPM Range.
- Doesn’t work with anything other than spring valve.
Best Hydraulic Roller Cam For 454
COMP Cams 11-615-44 4-Pattern 229/239
The upgraded hydraulic roller cam by The COMP Cams is the new focus in the business. It is a member of 396-454 c.i. 8 Cylinder series with four camshaft patterns. The billet steel-made hydraulic roller gives long-lasting durability with efficiency. Its lifter is hydraulically styled with a 3-bolt gear attachment. With the RPM range of 2400-6700, it ensures sufficient airflow to the engine while keeping it cool to let your vehicle run at its best. It is 2.6 X 23.2 X 2.9 in dimensions and weighs around 10.54 lbs. The camshaft is specially designed for Chevrolet vehicle engines and provides excellent performance throughout the years without fuss.
Looking for camshaft size chart as they are considered as the core component of the engine. What is the biggest cam for stock 350 Chevrolet engines? And if you need to buy the cam for 5.3 Vortec, then this article is for you.
The Difference: Howards cam vs COMP cam
Camshaft Series: Howards Chevy 454 cam is from the custom series camshaft. On the other hand, the COMP Cam is from the four-pattern series, which is upgraded with new features.
Engine family: The Howards cam’s engine family is 454-502 (gen 6). However, the COMP cam is from the 396-454-cylinder engine family. It is reviewed positively by consumers for its better and more durable performance.
Price: Though both the camshafts are considered suitable for 454’s, their price varies by a notable margin from each other. Howards is a lot less costly than the COMP’s one.
Camshaft Type and Howards cam lifter kit: Both the cams are hydraulic roller type camshafts. However, the performance and quality vary between these two camshafts. Two have different lift duration for the combustion engine’s inboard and outboard exhaust.
Variations of Chevy 454
The Chevy 454 engine included three versions. These were LS5, LS6, and LS7. These versions were not publicized, and the LS7 was considered for the Chevelle and the Corvette. These are known as applications with high performance.
Protests indicated that the HP output of LS7 had been underrated in the 1970’s while the muscle cars were in trend.
In order to give you an overall idea of its performance, the early 1970’s were the years of 454 engines. It outnumbered the LS5’s 350 HP and LS6’s 450 HP with success. The increasing emissions caused LS6 to be taken down while in 1973, the LS5’s HP was brought down to 245. 454 was discontinued by Chevrolet from cars and trucks in 1975 and 1996, respectively.
The question frequently asked to me is, how many liters does a 454 engine include?
The 454 is a 7.4 Liter engine, with a bore x stroke of 4.25 in × 4 in (108.0 mm × 101.6 mm).
What cars used the original 454 engines?
- 1970–1976 Chevrolet Caprice
- 1970–1975 Chevrolet Chevelle
- 1970–1975 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
- 1970–1975 Chevrolet El Camino
- 1971–1972 GMC Sprint
- 1970–1974 Chevrolet Corvette
The Chevrolet 454 engine is still in demand in the aftermarket with its well-known reputation. Its followers yet seek the 454’s parts around the world.
454 factory rocker arm ratio: It is 1.7 for BBC engines. Source: https://www.chevelles.com/threads/stock-rocker-arm-ratio-for-454.125177/
Buying Guide for the Best cams for stock 454 in 2021
The market is full of cams for stock 454. It can be quite tough and hassling to decide the best cam for your car or truck’s 454 engine. In this section, I will discuss the comp cam selection guide to pick the best cam for stock 454.
The camshaft’s duration indicates the amount of power offered to the engine. Therefore, the longer the cam’s duration, the better the engine’s efficiency.
Hydraulic roller-styled steel-made cams are considered the best as they do not wear off soon, ensuring more extended durability with higher HP and less friction.
Higher RPM is what you would want to look for while selecting the cam for your 454. Cams that provide RPM around 5500 are the ones you should go for as they initiate higher HP for the high-speed engine.
Valve Overlap & Lobe Separation
The lobe separation angle is also known as LSA is mainly the angle located in camshaft degrees between the centerlines, or maximum lift points, or of the intake lobes, or the exhaust lobes.
It also affects the amount of valve overlap and therefore they are interconnected with each other in terms of functionality. In the brief period when both the intake valves and exhaust valves are open, then the valve overlap will happen into the lobe separation angle.
The valve lift is the distance between the open position of the valve and the seated position of the valve after it is raised. The height and duration of the valve are connected to the width and shapes of the camshaft lobes.
The valve lift allows more open place in both the intake and exhaust lobes of the cylinder. Later, when the air and fuel will be drawn in, exhaust gases will be pushed out.
It is measured in inches using a dial indicator at the top of the valve. But before doing so, you must have to raise the valve from its seated position.
Cams determine the engine’s performance. Those cams that ensure higher torque and enhanced throttle response are good to go for 454’s.
Select cams that provide better engine sounds and efficiency with durability.
There are several 454 cams in the business. Hydraulic roller styled ones are considered best for the 454 engines.
Hydraulic Flat Tappet
These are easily worn out and used less commonly though they do improve the engine’s efficiency. You might overlook them unless they are necessary.
454 RV cam
RV (recreational vehicle) is a cam with low RPM, which reaches up to 5000. IT offers less towing and low end torque.
Here’s an example of a stage two RV cam. It is manufactured for Chevy 454 by Engine pro.
454 camshaft selection: Selecting the best camshaft for 454 engines requires keeping in mind some features and specifications. Choosing proper stock 454 camshafts will enhance the engine’s ability to perform.
Stock 454 cam specs: Duration, cam style, RPM range, lifters, accelerating air/fuel mixture, torque and rotation, fraction, lobe separation, and durability are the primary specs in stock motor 454 horsepower cams.
Best street cam big block Chevy: The camshaft is appropriate for drag strip oval track or even hot marine applications. It also includes a definite lope at idle.
Vortec 454 cam upgrade: The Vortec 454 cam initiates 290 HP at the RM rate of 4000. This camshaft also provides 410 torque at the speed of 3200 RPM for 454 engines.
What is a Camshaft?
A camshaft is located on an internal heat combustion engine which is also a device controlling both the expulsion of exhaust fumes and the input of fuel. It has several radical cams and each of them displaces intake or exhaust valves.
There is a difference between the camshaft and the crankshaft. The camshaft is interlinked to the crankshaft through a chain, belt, or gears.
However, the camshaft is one of the oldest parts of the engine and providing service since the invention of the engine. But day by day, it has become a complex system of parts but yet it is a basic component of an engine.
What is the Stock 454 Engine?
Stock 454 engine is one of the most economical crate engine options for the Chevy engine rebuilding process.
If you want to have a big block with the engine, then you will also require brackets for the alternator. But the bare engine will cost you only $1000-$1500. Stock 454 engine is capable of running 200,000 miles with quality oil.
This engine is very reliable to its owner because of the mileage amount. But to get that amount of mileage, you must ensure regular maintenance and clean coolant. A stock 454 engine will provide 230 HP-255 HP and 385 lb.-ft. to 405 lb.-ft. of torque.
454 engine specs
Compression Ratio: 8.25:1.
Displacement: 454 cubic-inches (7.4 L)
Horsepower: 270 hp @ 4,400 RPM.
Torque: 380 lb./ft. @ 2,800 RPM.
Cylinder Bore: 4.251 inches
Stroke: 4.0 inches
Signs of a Failing 454 Big Block Cam (BBC camshaft)
The camshaft position sensor collects speed information from the vehicle and sends it to the ECM module. But the camshaft may fail and stop collecting and sending information to the module panel. But before an engine failure, it certainly will show some signs beforehand which you need to know so that you can identify the problem instantly. Here they are as follows:
- The engine light will come on from the very moment the 454 engine goes bad.
- Your vehicle will stop providing the service that is used to provide. Rather it will not drive like before at all.
- In a worst-case scenario, your vehicle may not start again if you ignore or avoid the above-mentioned issues and keep driving your vehicle anyway.
454 vortec performance upgrades:
- Use a set of long-tube headers (exhaust manifolds) and an aftermarket exhaust system.
- Install an aftermarket windage tray in your engine.
454 Heads and cam (Basics)
Valve train parts
Camshaft, valves, valve springs, retainers, rocker arms and shafts and Types of valve train: I direct acting; II end pivot rocker arm; III center pivot rocker arm; IV center pivot rocker arm with follower; V pushrod.
FAQ : cam for stock 454
What’s the biggest cam for stock 454?
The biggest cam for stock 454 is COMP Cams CL11-600-4 Thumpr 279TH7 Cam and Lifter Kit for Big Block Chevy.
Is the 454 a good engine?
The Chevrolet 454 engine is a good one and it remains one of the favorites among performance analysts and enthusiasts. The reason behind its popularity is its power output and the availability of the parts for the engine in aftermarkets. They also provide quite a good mileage and therefore they are reliable as well to most of the owners.
How much horsepower does a cam add to a 454?
The Chevrolet 454 usually responds quite well to the camshaft upgrade or addition because the peak numbers climb up from 376 HP to 482 HP. At the same time, the torque jumps from 482 lb.-ft. to 507 lb.-ft. with the stock 454 engine. Everyone will welcome this 52 HP addition to their stock 454 engine as it comes with a reasonable jump in peak torque too.
How can I make my stock 454 faster?
To make your stock 454 faster, you need to ensure more power out of your stock 454 engine and to do so you need to follow these steps as given below:
- Replace the exhaust system of the stock engine with a high flow system.
- Improve or change the air intake and fuel system because more amount of fuel and air will ensure more production of power in your stock 454 engine.
- Replace the timing stock parts with the ones tuned for racing purposes to get better outcomes.
How fast is a stock 454?
Stock 454 is a very fast engine with a surprisingly impressive 330 HP and 475 lb.-ft. of torque. If you can take good care of your engine with proper and regular servicing and usage of quality oil, then it can even go up to 500 lb.-ft. at 3500 RPM.
Which is better: a 350 or 454 engine?
If you are having a lightweight or medium-weight car, then a 350 engine can offer you the best experience, especially when you are in for a daily driving role. But in the case of a truck, the 454 can make you feel better, especially to your foot as there won’t be a lot of moving for your foot with the stock 454 engine. However, in an all-out performance vehicle, the stock 454 engine will be more preferable and likable. But it will remain likable till the car is a straight line car like drag racing.
How much horsepower can you get out of a 454?
If we have to stay with the standard stroke or bore combination of 4.25 or 4 inches, then it is not possible to get more power outputs than 650 HP from the 454 engine with a race engine configuration. Even if you try to use the tricks mentioned earlier to get more horsepower, you won’t succeed because this is the highest horsepower that you can get out of a Chevrolet stock 454 engine. But to get this huge amount of horsepower, you must ensure the racing engine configuration. Otherwise, you won’t get the expected outcome of horsepower from your 454 engine.
What’s a good cam for my stock 454?
There are huge numbers of good and great cam available on the internet for stock 454 engines. But if we have to recommend just one for your stock 454, then we would love to recommend Edelbrock 7162 Performer Cam and Lift Kit. They are a top and popular name in this business especially in the business of Chevy performance parts. Therefore, this should be the perfect choice for a 454 cam fit. This particular model was designed to pair with the intake manifold’s power band. So, Edelbrock 7162 Performer Cam and Lift Kit is a good cam for your stock 454 engine without a doubt.
How much horsepower does a 1986 454 have?
A 1986 454 stock provides 250–720 Horsepower and 385–690 lb-ft torque.
How much horsepower does a 77 454 have?
230 horsepower and 360 foot-pounds of torque.
How much horsepower does a 1974 454 engine have?
1974 LS4 454 Gross Horsepower.
How many liters is a 454 big block?
7.3L is the 454 big block.
How do I get more power out of my chevy 454?
There’s a couple of things you can do
1. Improve the intake system along with the fuel
2. Replace the stock timing parts with the racing ones.
3. Use a supercharger.
4. Implement high-flow on the stock exhaust system.
The 454 engines need adequate camshaft performance to enhance their own. The best cam for stock 454 will enable the engine to provide high-end performance for a long-lasting engine lifetime and save you from extra expenses, either for purchasing or maintenance.
All the cams described above are appropriate for the 454’s. Every cam has its own pros-cons, and it would be best if you select the one best suiting for your vehicle’s 454 engine. We hope the specifications and features mentioned above, along with the guidelines, will be helpful for you to decide the best one for you.
Intake valve lift control technology -https://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/09/ivlc-20120918.html
Valve Optimum overlap: https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/valvetrain-how-it-works/2
Memphis, TN 38118
Westech Performance and
Mira Loma, CA 91752
Corona, CA 92880
Bowling Green, KY 42101
Torrance, CA 90503