3rd gen Cummins owners are always looking for ways to improve their vehicles. One area that is often overlooked is the steering box. In this blog post, we will explore the best steering box for 3rd gen Cummins and provide our top picks. If you’re the owner of a 3rd gen Cummins, then you know that having a good steering box is important. With all the power and torque that your truck can generate, you need to be sure that your steering system can handle it.
Whether you are looking to improve handling or just want a more solid feel when driving, these aftermarket boxes will get the job done.
The best steering box for 3rd gen Cummins can make all the difference in how your truck handles on the road. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the best steering boxes for dodge ram 2500 3500 for 3rd gen Cummins trucks, and we’ll help you decide which one is right for you.
1. Detroit Steering Gear Box – Best steering box for dodge ram 2500
Featuring a design that’s identical to the original factory design, the Detroit Steering Gear Box helps guide the wheel’s movement along with the steering wheel rotation direction.
Detroit Axle’s remanufactured steering gear box is engineered and tested to exceed O.E. required performance. Each unit features an O-ring and lip seal for a leak free power steering box that can be relied on for years of trouble-free service.
The complete power steering gear box assembly is fully tested hydraulically to ensure the smooth operation of the gears and components within. Detroit Axle’s remanufactured power steering boxes are built with superior durability and a perfect fit, backed by a lifetime warranty.
- The gear box is suitable for Dodge Ram 1500 2500 3500.
- The rack and pinion design has also been integrated into continuous-track systems such as those used on some modular armored vehicles.
- Detroit Axle offers OE quality power steering gear box assemblies for all medium & heavy duty Dodge trucks, vans and SUV’s.
- Parts including steering gear boxes, new pumps, gear box mounts, idler pulleys and many other steering parts.
Guide rods are often referred to as auxiliary shafts, they are used on both sides of the power steering gearbox. They are connected to the side gears and have large grooves for lubricating grease.
The power steering pump supplies hydraulic fluid under pressure to this guide rod (and two others found towards the front of your vehicle).
This fluid moves through valves within each tube and into your system’s rack and pinion assembly. In this area of the system, the fluid becomes pressurized and moves down a series of tubes back towards your power steering gearbox on one end, where it is directed into an oil reservoir with a small amount of oil already inside.
2.Borgeson power steering box-Fits all 2003-08 Ram 2500 and 3500 4WD.
Is your Dodge truck doing more steering than you are? Much more? Is it like driving a fishing boat? If so, you need to realign the steering box and install a new one.
The Borgeson power steering box for the 2003-2008 Dodge trucks is the most massive power steering box on the market. It is professionally designed and built to last with time-proven technology. The larger piston diameter and variable valve make this box virtually identical to the larger Chrysler offering. The largest piston provides more power assist and higher reliability than the stock box can provide.
The Borgeson offers the potential for higher flow capacity as well as oversized pitman shaft bolt holes to accommodate aftermarket dropped pitman’s arms.
The bolts diameter is 10MM. All Borgeson power steering boxes are assembled, hot-torqued to manufacturers’ specifications and leak tested in the USA from globally sourced components. Also a good fit for 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 4×4 Cummins Diesel.
Each Borgeson steering system Includes all of the parts required to install a new steering box with u joints, not rag joints. In addition, a new steering shaft is available as an option that will allow the factory power steering to be used.
Note: Amazon said this would not work on the truck but the Borgeson page said it would.
Buyer’s Guide: How To Buy A Steering Gearbox
In this part, we’ll discuss some of the different factors you’ll need to consider when choosing a steering box for your Cummins truck, as well as some of our top picks for the best option available.
Here are some tips to help you choose the best steering gearbox for your needs.
1. Know what kind of power-steering system you have. The two common types are rack-and-pinion and recirculating-ball steering systems. Rack-and pinion is more precise, but may not be compatible with your vehicle. If you aren’t sure which system your vehicle has, bring your car by for an inspection.
2. Ask yourself what else may need to be changed or repaired along with the steering gearbox. A bad gearbox will typically need new hoses and belts. The more electrical components that are acting up, the more likely it is that replacing the steering gearbox will require a new electrical power-steering motor.
3. Estimate and prepare for the cost of installation. This includes parts and labor, as well as any fees from your mechanic for inspecting the problem. All those factors can add up quickly, so be sure you’re prepared for them before crossing this job off your list.
4. Get several price quotes and estimates. While doing so, ask about additional fees and charges ahead of time. Also, get a written estimate that details parts and labor costs. After you receive the information, compare prices with other businesses to make sure your chosen provider isn’t charging too much for this service. That way, you can be satisfied with a reasonable price.
5. Buy the right steering gearbox for your vehicle. There are a few things to keep in mind, such as make and model, year, engine size and any accessories that may be required for installation. If you aren’t sure which part you will need to repair your power-steering system ask an experienced mechanic.
Dodge ram 2500 steering box replacement
How much does it cost to replace a steering gear box? A new steering gear box can cost $150 with a used one costing around $600-$8,00 depending on the age and mileage of the vehicle. Estimates are somewhere between $200 to $800 or more.
The less expensive models are usually around 20 years old while the most expensive models are around 80 years old. Some of the older and more expensive ones can cost as much as $1,000 if they have been customized and reworked with new parts and instruments.
What are the symptoms of a bad steering box?
There are a few things that can go wrong with your steering box. If you have to turn the wheel back and forth to get it through a turn, or if there is an abnormal amount of play in the steering wheel when going straight down the road, there may be something wrong with the steering box. It could also make whirring noises as you turn.
Symptoms of a bad steering box include: not being able to make turns, abnormal play in the steering wheel, whirring noises.
If your steering does not work properly it could be a problem with the gears inside the steering box itself, or it could just be a leak on one of the belts or hydraulic lines.
Symptoms of a bad steering box are loose or tight steering, poor alignment, wandering on the road. If it is not properly adjusted and maintained, can lead to loss of control of the vehicle.
Over time, enough wear and tear will cause parts to break down without warning. Malfunctioning parts may cause excessive tire wear.
The front wheels may lose traction leading to loss of control. The vehicle may pull towards the direction that the steering wheel is turned towards and may increase in speed and become uncontrollable, especially at high speeds. A bad steering box will cause the front tires to wear out quickly or unevenly.
The steering wheel can also be very difficult to turn at times resulting in longer stopping distances. If no repairs are made, then the vehicle will not turn or respond appropriately to driver input.
At first, there may be minor issues but if left unchecked it can lead to further severe problems with the steering components which could result in accidents on the road. This is why timely service of a bad steering box is necessary for your safety.
Steering Gear Box Install Dodge RAM 3rd Gen Cummins 2500
Do you need an alignment after replacing steering stabilizer?
The steering stabilizers won’t affect your alignment or help to keep it aligned. Steering stabilizers are not a band-aid for worn out front end components and that’s what your problem is.
If you’re looking for a steering box that will give your truck the power and control it needs to take on any terrain, we recommend checking out our top Best steering box for 3rd gen Cummins. After reading this blog post, you should have a better understanding of the different considerations when choosing your steering box.
Our top recommendation is to choose one that matches with installation and maintenance requirements for your truck. Remember that there are many factors at play in how well your truck handles on the road, so be sure to take it slow if you’re not used to making big decisions like these! We hope this post has helped you learn more about what makes up a steering box and which one is right for your 3rd gen Cummins.